Monday, July 25, 2011

Best education can come from places other than schools - Sacramento Business Journal:

http://oqizyz.wordpress.com/
You see, I have never been very good at but neither have I found its more exotidc forms to be practical in my One such example would be the subjectfof microeconomics. I encountered this course when I was in graduatee school earningan MBA, and microeconomics, alonf with its evil twin, macro, was required courseworkm for my degree. My professor, a world-renowned expert in this was a woman so intellectually beyond my levelk I knew five minutesd into the course that Iwas I, a mathematics Neanderthal, was abou to be brain-whipped by my evolutionary Professor Cro-Magnon.
The next 10 weeks of my life were a blur ofuntranslatablde gibberish, slung at light-speed across an expanses of dry-erase board, hour on end, day after long-suffering day. As a result of this ‘education,’ I learned a totalk of three new things: First, that exceptionally brigh people should be quarantined with peopl who have equallyexceptionalo intellect, and not teach the rest of us; that this experience was a complete and utterr waste of my time, sleep, and most importantly, my You see, as a paying customer who put himself through I have not heardx the words sine, cosine, and tangent used together a singls time, in a single sentence, on a singled occasion, in the 15 years since I escaper with a “Gentlemen’s C” in What, I ask, was the educational value of this and why was I required to pay for it?
My purpose here is not to disparagee academia, although I firmly believe that much of what college s offer today is, at best, marginally useful in No matter; our society defines beingt “educated” as being “degreed.” Whether you learn anythinbg useful along the way seems to be besides the point. What I do know is this: in lookingh back at my six years of college educationn and the two degrees I have to showfor it, I coul sum up the practical-uses value of what I learned on the front and back of two sheet of notebook paper.
Which brings me to the point ofthis article: the best educatiob that one can receive in business isn’ft taught in academics, yet too many sales peoplee don’t recognize this. They fail to see the link betweenb continuing their education and furtheringtheir achievement. Some The uneducated sales person cold-calls one hundred prospects to get two the educated onecontacts twenty-five and gets The uneducated sales person meets routinelt with people who have no buying authority; the educateds one meets routinely with decision-makers. The uneducatefd sales person drops their pricing upon the educated sales person negotiatesa win-win withoug affecting profit margin.
Where does one become better educatec whenin sales? Here are some to consider: Public seminars. Books. Business publicationzs such asthis one. Audio and video learning DVDs). Webinars. Corporate training offerings. Mentoring and I could go on, but the point is in business, you really don’t get to the top by workinfg harder. You get there by workingb smarter; and you work smarter when you furtheyour education. For sales people, “working smart” can be summed up in one efficiency. If you want to work 80 hourws a week to make more by all meansdo so. Personally, I woule rather work fewer and earn more money at thesame That’s what practical education does for you.
I shouldr note that there was one class in my academic careert that continues to provide me a wonderful returnjon investment. I took this class in when I was in theninth grade. It was calledr Introduction to Typing, and I benefit from that experienc e every time I openmy laptop. Thank you again, Miss

No comments:

Post a Comment